Responsibilities For Landlords
If you are looking to rent out your property in Leicester you must keep in mind of the following responsibilities that you will have. Our agents at Igloo Sales and Lettings Leicester have created this guide to help any new landlords.
One of the most important factors is ensuring that your property is safe to be inhabited. Some of these factors include:
- Providing a Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for the property you are renting
- All gas and electrical equipment should be correctly installed and safely maintained
- Fire safety for the property must be checked
- Smoke and carbon monoxide alarms must be installed and regularly checked
It is important that your property is checked for these factors. The Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) will be used by your local council and will ensure that the property is safe of the tenants. The HHRS may carry out an inspection because a tenant has requested it, or the local council may believe that your property may be hazardous and in need of a check-up.
HHSRS hazard ratings
Inspectors look at 29 health and safety areas and score each hazard they find according to its seriousness. Its essential that you act on any notices you receive from HHSRS regarding your property. Failure to address any of the problems highlighted could result in:
- An improvement notice
- Fixing the hazard in question themselves and bill you for the cost
- Preventing your or any tenants from inhabiting the property.
There are also responsibilities directly involving the tenants your rent a property to. You must make sure that the tenant has the right to rent
, and you must ensure that the tenants deposit
is protected by a government approved scheme.
As a landlord you must pay the following:
- Income Tax on your rental income, excluding your day-to-day running expenses
- Class 2 National Insurance if you consider the property renting as running a business
- Permission from your mortgage lender if you are mortgaging the property
If you have anymore questions then feel free to get in contact with us